The super sweet and always thoughtful Niki, from Twenty something and blogging, has honored me with the Versatile Blogger Award. Thank you so much, Niki! (Since Genina honored me with this award last week, I’m feeling all Meryl Streep now. Thanks, girls!).
To accept this award, I must do the following:
1. Thank the person who honored me with this award.
2. Share seven things about myself.
3. Pass the award on to fifteen bloggers who I’ve recently discovered who I think are fantastic.
I’ve chosen to share with you a list of seven of my imperfections.
We’re often told that we’re too hard on ourselves, that we need to sing our own praises and use positive self talk. While there’s merit to that, there is also beauty and value in humility, in being able to recognize things about ourselves that need work. Once we’ve identified those things, we can either work on them or laugh and recognize that perhaps these are the things make us human and unique.
Things that I’ll probably just accept:
1. I interrupt. Constantly. I even interrupt myself. I have honestly worked on this one, but made zero progress. It isn’t that I think that what I have to say is more important than what you’re saying; I just know that if I don’t speak RIGHT NOW, I will completely forget what I was going to say when it is my turn to speak.
2. There are chores that I truly hate to do and I will often pretend that I don’t see them so that Craig will do them. (Sorry, Babe!)
Example? The lint trap in my dryer is so full that it is undoubtedly a fire hazard. Every time I pull it out, it sends me sneezing hell for at least one full day. So I typically leave it for Craig.
Another example? When the toilet paper is running low, I will be sure that I leave two squares on it so I don’t have to change it.
One more? When the trash is getting full, I cram it down so that I don’t have to take it out. Yeah, I’m sweet like that.
(I bet you wish you lived with me now!)
3. I can be inconsiderate. When my feet are cold, I will unapologetically put them on Craig when we get into bed. (I know!) But he’s a furnace! (This foot thing? It won’t change. Ever.)
Things that I need to work on:
4. I smother my kids. I know that I do this and I know that it is unhealthy, but I don’t know how to stop. I hover, I control, and I obsess.
5. I often make plans that sound great in the moment, but when that moment arrives, I bail. This ties in closely to my difficulty in saying no. (I have made a bit of progress here, however.)
6. I do not take criticism well. I get sulky, insecure, and unattractive. (If anyone knows how I can learn to be better about this, I welcome your suggestions…or do I?)
7. Sometimes I only partially listen when people are talking to me. This happens when I have a million things on my mind or a long list of things that I have to do. I can almost always repeat back the gist of the story, but not always all of the details. (Again, I’m truly working on it!)
So, there you have it.
That was liberating.
And finally, here is the list of new-to-me blogs that I’ve been enjoying:
I’m only doing six, because I’m a rebel.